Carve the Turkey
Turn the ball game on
Mix margaritas when the eggnog's gone
Send somebody to the Quickpak Store
We need some ice and an extension chord
A can of bean dip and some Diet Rites
A box of tampons, Marlboro Lights
Hallelujah everybody say Cheese
Merry Christmas from the family.............Robert Earl Keen!
The Christmas meme stolen from Wordnerd....I am taking liberties of course.
My worst Christmas memory isn't on the list. I will add it. When I was 21 and running wild and free...clear of a tied down relationship...partying with my best buds in the world...I went to a Christmas party on Christmas Eve and came in around 3:30 am. I was living at my parents...no boos please....and I came in to find a bag of switches in my stocking. Seriously. And I really was lit up like a Christmas tree. I have never felt so guilty as I did for being drunk on baby Jesus's birthday.....I never ever ever went to another Christmas Eve party. Wait that is a lie. I never ever got skunk drunk on Christmas Eve.
Neat fact: Did you know that until the year Martin and I were engaged for Christmas...that would have been 2 seasons ago...I had never spent Christmas Eve away from mom and dad? I slept there and Santa brought my gifts in the middle of the night. (yes, I have always been spoiled) And I still go over on Christmas day and get my gifts from them that morning in my pjs......well until everyone "changed" things on me this year because the grandchildren keep rooting me out of my traditions...anyway here is the meme.
If it is too long it is okay, I won't post again until Sunday night!
1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate- I only have egg nog at Christmas and I love it. I LOVE it. With Cap'n Morgan in it of course but I LOVE it. But it is fattening so my tree trimming night and Christmas Eve only.
2. Does Santa wrap- Well Santa quit coming to see Rollie years ago when I had to start staying here with Toonces. But when we were kids a few were unwrapped to walk in and go "Ah" to and some were wrapped from Santa.
3. Colored or White: We already know this...white.
4. Mistletoe hung? Well if I were married to someone who could actually shoot it out of the tree sure. We have tons but I fear for the horses lives if T takes aim so unless Jackson brings me some again this year I'll not have any. Actually you should have seen the look on Martin's face when I asked him if he would shoot me some out of the oak tree in the side yard. PRICELESS.
5. When did I learn the truth about Santa: When I started realizing my nannie's (my grandmother) wrapping paper was the same as Santa's. Around Caleb's age 9 or 10. But I didn't tell my parents for years that I had solved that great mystery. I am one of those that still deep deep in my heart believes in the spirit of Santa Claus.
6. Favorite holiday dish: Toonces in a Santa hat! No, actually we both love our Honey Baked Ham...our tradition. But I will always have in my mind that the best meal in the world was our Christmas ham, my nannie's green beans, my aunt's baked beans and green salad and my mom's potato salad. Okay I teared up. I miss my nannie and papas so much at Christmas time. It is never the same.
7. When do you put up your decorations: The weekend AFTER Thanksgiving.
8. Do you open a Christmas Eve gift?: We play dirty Santa at my Hama's but no. Toonces and tried that to see if it worked for us but he is so childish he had rather wait and run down the steps on Christmas morning for ALL his gifts. He hoards them. I mean from his bailiffs, his friends, he sits and opens 50 little gifts before mine and I just want to smack the crap out of him. Next question.
9. Favorite Holiday memory: Oh the excitement of not being able to sleep, the candles our mom let us each burn only on Christmas Eve.....I remember the year I got my 10 speed bike. For some reason I have vivid memories of Melanie (smaller than Izzy) coming in to the lights (it was still dark out) and finding her Wonder Woman sleeping bag. Delane always so happy, always so appreciative. I remember before Melanie was born finding a baby doll high chair from Aunt Dianne. I remember going to Bethel, the tiny white church below us where my mom was brought up and singing "Joy to the world" and "Silent Night" and getting that brown bag when you left with an orange, an apple, a pack of gum and a real candy bar. I still think of that at Christmas.
I remember my uncle David being home from Vietnam and with us on Christmas. I was crazy over him. Getting to be the angel that stood on the high beams at Temple, my old church, though I was afraid of heights......watching the Christmas play with 1000 in attendance.
Sharon and I bringing Melanie and Caleb home when she still lived in Wilmington and he was only 6 weeks old to stay through Christmas and New Year's. My parents almost had a stroke. It was a surprise.
Wow...I was blessed, I am blessed. I have always loved Christmas.
10. Love or dread snow: I like quick big pretty snowfalls, especially at night and then for them to melt quickly. If people didn't have to go in snow and it turn in to those big nasty brown piles in business parking lots I would love it.
I think I will end at 10......next week I will answer the remaining ones maybe! I don't need anyone falling asleep and putting an eye out on the keyboard and blaming me.
HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND!